17 September 2026

Down the Rabbit Hole - Arnhem style

For the Arnhem Bridge Project I'm busy listing and investigating details pertinent to the project. Most of which are proving I am deep down the Rabbit Hole and only getting deeper.

One

The road bridge appears to have two different and distinct handrails/barriers along the the bridge edge.

Those edging the bridge proper appear to be made from steel/iron while those that run along the the top of the underpass appear to have a concrete base panel with steel/iron rails at the top.



I have simplified the designs a little to assist with printing and to ensure the are robust when gaming but now have models of both types. 



Two

The Kickstarter that provided the bulk of the buildings and the bridge also includes a tram model, which if I can successfully print will be a great piece of table scatter. When asking Google "what colour were the trams in Arnhem in 1944" I got the answer that the trams were originally painted beige (1911) and repainted in 1931 to a yellow ochre and black scheme that was still in use in 1944 when the battle in the town effectively destroyed the tram system.

This scheme contrasts with the cream and green NBM Company scheme used by the trams in Oosterbeek which is perhaps better known, in part due to the famous photo of tram #77 


I have however also seen references to the trams being blue, or having blue trim, with the cream and green trams being leased by Arnhem but coming from elsewhere. I have also seen photos of what appear to be beige or cream trams cited as being in the Arnhem area. 

So for the moment I'll go for the yellow ochre and black livery until such time  as someone tells me differently.

1 comment:

  1. Nice work, it's fun getting into the details like this. I guess where information conflicts you can just go with what you think will look the coolest - that's the usual way I decide issues of historical accuracy.

    ReplyDelete

Down the Rabbit Hole - Arnhem style

For the Arnhem Bridge Project I'm busy listing and investigating details pertinent to the project. Most of which are proving I am deep d...