20 August 2026

AAR - Probe at the Crossroads

The Probe

Having discussed the design of this table in an earlier post, diaries aligned and Matt and I played this mission last night. I was attacking with a plucky British infantry platoon, while Matt was defending with a devious and cunning German infantry platoon. We had previously rolled for Support Points, where I had gained six SP and Matt two (plus a further point due to his force rating of -1).  On a previous play through of this mission,again as British Infantry, I had purchased a Dingo armoured car and RAM Kangaroo, so this time with fewer points I wanted to go with a very different strategy in the hope that Matt might think I would try something similar again. 

  • Infantry Section  5 SP
  • Replen Point      1 SP 

My plan for the force was to use two sections to advance and engage Matt in the hope he would think that my main effort and concentrate his forces against them, and then bring on the third and the surprise fourth sections in the hope they could move quickly and freely to achieve the required objectives of capturing a German JOP and exiting one section from the enemy's table edge before game end. 

At game start when rolling to determine the axis of advance I was lucky enough to roll low meaning I would be attacking across the table - a shorter distance to have to traverse in order to exit the map than length ways.


With the direction of attack known my plan formalised as the following. 
  • Two sections to move and occupy the buildings at the main crossroads and go firm with the hope Matt would deploy at least two sections against them.
  • After a slight delay to draw Matt in, then commit the remaining two British sections on the left and move up through the orchard with one section to exit the map and the other to capture the closest JOP.

Neither of us were particularly happy with the placement of our respective JOP - but as they say, war is hell. 

The first few phases saw the British deploy their first platoon as planned and advance as far as the crossroad before coming under fire from a German section deployed from their central JOP. With the deployment of the second German section near the crossroads I brought on the second British section and double timed on the left flank up to the Suze farmhouse (hence the shock). At this point the dice gods abandoned me and for the next few phases I was only able to undertake limited actions. 




This included bringing on the Plt Sgt and the third British section while first section moved into the "L" shaped building and second section moved through the Suze farmhouse and into the small orchard (The wall on their right is high and so they are shielded from the two German sections).


Things were not happening as quickly as I would have liked and Matt played the first of his full CoC dice (being required to play two as soon as they become available to end two turns and start the final countdown).

With Matt only able to see and fire at first section they were taking the full fire from the two German sections, steadily incurring shock and casualties including the Junior Leader. 

British section was "inside" the building, but placed behind for ease of casualty removal

He did however also deploy his third section to guard his last JOP, facing the MG42 towards the orchard wall and left flank, and the rifle team back towards the main crossroads, while I was able to exit second section off the German table edge and so complete the first of the two objectives.


With a full CoC dice I was able to move the JOP on the left flank and push it up to the Suze farmhouse and then immediately deploy my forth section, which I think did catch Matt somewhat by surprise. However I was not able to relive the pressure on first section, and they were now down to four men, broken and carrying a shed load of shock. Matt then ordered Handgranaten! and overrun the section taking the surviving three men prisoner. At this point Matt played his second full CoC dice to end the second turn and start the final countdown, with eight phases to be played before game end. 

I now belatedly deployed my 2" mortar and placed smoke on the crossroads to protect third squad from the German section now in the "L" shaped building. With only a few phases left I now had to start pushing my luck. With two German sections in the centre my only option was to continue with my original plan and see if I could capture the German JOP on the left. Having seen the success of Matts Handgranaten! attack I decided to have fourth section throw their grenades over the high wall at the MG42 team in an attempt to whittle that section down before trying for the JOP. In order to hit the team I needed to roll 11/12 on the 2D6. Amazingly one grenade did hit causing casualties and shock to the MG team. Having retained the next phase I was able to bring on my Replen point and gain a further two grenades for fourth section, with the third thrown again hitting and eliminating the MG team. The platoon commander also deployed and joined fourth section in order to increase their chances of being able to move and close on the JOP.  Third section under the command of the Plt Sgt was using concentrated fire from the Bren on the rifle team and then having those rifles that could bear also fire with decent success.






And so with two phases remaining this was the position, and I was ready for a last minute rush onto the JOP by fourth section. The hope was I would be able to move them onto the JOP and win the close combat, however with a fence and hedge to cross before being able to move into the ploughed field the dice gods were not kind and fourth section ended up along the hedgerow facing the JOP, but able to move no further when the game ended. 

Game End

Victory for the Germans and Matt played a blinder being tenacious in defence. He had spent his three support points on a panzerschrek team, and so my plan to avoid vehicles did pay some dividend. In retrospect I should have used second section to try for the JOP, as they would have had more time to do so, with fourth section moving to exit the map. Live and learn. 

Photos by Matt

2 comments:

  1. Nice report.

    The final countdown doesn't end the game immediately after the countdown phases are up. During the countdown if a triple six turn end is rolled the game immediately ends. After the countdown phases are over you keep playing but a double six then ends the game. So unless you rolled a double six on the command dice you should have kept going.

    ReplyDelete

AAR - Probe at the Crossroads

The Probe Having discussed the design of this  table in an earlier post, diaries aligned and Matt and I played this mission last night. I w...